From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:08:34
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-07-27, o godz. 10:42:19
3 >
4 > Consider the following:
5 >
6 > 1. A depends on B, both are installed,
7 >
8 > 2. dependency on B is removed, emerge --depclean uninstalls B thanks
9 > to dynamic-deps,
10 >
11 > 3. B is treecleaned (nothing depends on it),
12 >
13 > 4. old version of A is removed (user doesn't update it yet), therefore
14 > dependency on B is restored from vdb.
15 >
16 > So, now user has package A installed which has unsatisfied dependency
17 > on non-available package.
18
19 I'd think that portage should update vdb as soon as it detects the
20 dependency change. Then B would no longer depend on A in vdb. It
21 shouldn't hold onto outdated information. Basically a dependency
22 change should trigger a no-rebuild merge if it is safe to do so, and
23 if not there should be a revbump anyway.
24
25 If A is removed before there is a sync, then A is still installed on
26 the user's system and portage still thinks that B depends on A, so it
27 remains consistent.
28
29 I acknowldege that this isn't how portage behaves today.
30
31 Rich