From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 06:39:18
1 >>>>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > Please discuss. Did I leave out any steps? Are there any points I
4 > have left out besides the time window between steps 2 and 3? Should
5 > there be a time window before removing baselayout-1? What about
6 > between steps 1 and 2? What do you consider to be a reasonable time
7 > window before we stop supporting migration from baselayout-1 to
8 > baselayout-2/openrc? I'm thinking on the order of a few months, but
9 > not years.
10
11 We have a policy on this, see
12 <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20091109-summary.txt>:
13
14 | Upgrade path for old systems
16 | Vote (unanimous): The ebuild tree must provide an upgrade path to a
17 | stable system that hasn't been updated for one year.
18
19 So the time window should be at least one year after stabilisation of
20 baselayout-2 and openrc.
21
22 Ulrich