From: Sami Dalouche <skoobi@××××.fr>
To: Marcus Przyklink <downhill@××××××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just some Feedback
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:58:50
1 one good idea would maybe be to put ALL the gentoo documentation on the
2 bootable CD-ROM, wouldn't it ?
3 if it was as .txt, like /install.txt, it'd be way easier to consult it, and
4 it's during the
5 bootstrapping / install that we have the time to read all of it ;-)
6
7 sam
10 ----- Original Message -----
11 From: "Marcus Przyklink" <downhill@××××××××××.de>
12 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
13 Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 11:19 PM
14 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just some Feedback
17 > Jan Schubert wrote:
18 > > Just installed gentoo (stage1-1.4) and i'm very satisfied. Your install
19 > > guide is one of the best documentation i've ever seen - short and
20 extensive.
21 >
22 > full ACK. The gentoo documentation is really good.
23 >
24 > > There are just some very small points to mention:
25 > > - You should make very clear that tmpfs and devfs is needed while
26 > > configuring the kernel (you should also mention, that tmpfs means
27 > > "Virtual Memory FS")
28 > > - you should include some more examples for CFLAGS in make.conf
29 > > (Pentium4, Athlon)
30 >
31 > I think you can find full explanation of the CFLAGS in the internet or
32 > in the manpage of gcc, I like the short gentoo documentation. But maybe
33 > a link to an online manpage of gcc would be good.
34 >
35 > > And the most important thing: Why is there no vi(m) included in the
36 > > base-system? For many advanced users this is the only usable editor, i
37 > > had some problems using nano...
38 >
39 > There is nothing like the only usable editor or such, some people like
40 > joe, some pico/nano, some vim, some emacs. I think nano is quite a good
41 > choice, small and easy to use. I'm too a vim-fan, but feel comfortable
42 > with nano as standardeditor.
43 >
44 > > I've seen, that some ebuilds are not at the edge of the time: Perl is
45 > > still 5.6.1, but 5.8 is out for some weeks now; Gentoo-sources refers
46 > > still to a 2.4.19-pre
47 >
48 > Perl 5.8 is masked because of some incompatibleties. You can unmask
49 > it by editing /usr/portage/profiles/packages.mask and comment the
50 > line with perl 5.8. And the kernelsources are 2.4.19 without pre here,
51 > maybe you should do an emerge rsync.
52 >
53 > Bye,
54 > Marcus
55 >
56 > --
57 > There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing
58 > is a miracle. The other is as though everything ist.
59 > [Albert Einstein]
61 > gentoo-dev mailing list
62 > gentoo-dev@g.o