From: Marcus Przyklink <downhill@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just some Feedback
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:19:41
1 Jan Schubert wrote:
2 > Just installed gentoo (stage1-1.4) and i'm very satisfied. Your install
3 > guide is one of the best documentation i've ever seen - short and extensive.
4
5 full ACK. The gentoo documentation is really good.
6
7 > There are just some very small points to mention:
8 > - You should make very clear that tmpfs and devfs is needed while
9 > configuring the kernel (you should also mention, that tmpfs means
10 > "Virtual Memory FS")
11 > - you should include some more examples for CFLAGS in make.conf
12 > (Pentium4, Athlon)
13
14 I think you can find full explanation of the CFLAGS in the internet or
15 in the manpage of gcc, I like the short gentoo documentation. But maybe
16 a link to an online manpage of gcc would be good.
17
18 > And the most important thing: Why is there no vi(m) included in the
19 > base-system? For many advanced users this is the only usable editor, i
20 > had some problems using nano...
21
22 There is nothing like the only usable editor or such, some people like
23 joe, some pico/nano, some vim, some emacs. I think nano is quite a good
24 choice, small and easy to use. I'm too a vim-fan, but feel comfortable
25 with nano as standardeditor.
26
27 > I've seen, that some ebuilds are not at the edge of the time: Perl is
28 > still 5.6.1, but 5.8 is out for some weeks now; Gentoo-sources refers
29 > still to a 2.4.19-pre
30
31 Perl 5.8 is masked because of some incompatibleties. You can unmask
32 it by editing /usr/portage/profiles/packages.mask and comment the
33 line with perl 5.8. And the kernelsources are 2.4.19 without pre here,
34 maybe you should do an emerge rsync.
35
36 Bye,
37 Marcus
40 There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing
41 is a miracle. The other is as though everything ist.
42 [Albert Einstein]