From: Rob C <hyakuhei@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Little respect towards Daniel please
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:34:58
1 On 06/03/07, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > expose@×××××××××××.net wrote:
4 >
5 > > Dear list,
6 > >
7 > > Why not simply naming the "formal logic rules" for the "official venue
8 > > where developers (and ex-developers and users) can talk out their
9 > > disagreements" to be:
10 > > 1. Anyone who is impolite get's kicked off.
11 > > 2. Anyone who repeatedly and seemingly on purpose tries to harm the
12 > > discussion will be kicked off.
13 > >
14 > > Impolite: Do, under _no_ circumstances, use a word MTV would have to
15 > mute,
16 > > or that your grandmother (hopefully) wouldnt want to hear you say ;-)
17 > >
18 > > Repeatedly: We are humans, we make faults.
19 > >
20 > > Seemingly: If this wouldnt be part of the rule, there would be endless
21 > > debates on wether it was on purpose or not.
22 > >
23 > I like the idea; i think it'd be a start just to focus on the first. It's
24 > easier to define, or at least to know when someone's overstepped the mark.
25 >
26 > > Bryan Østergaard <kloeri@g.o> wrote:
27 > >> Somehow a lot of people seems to think banning is the only possible
28 > >> solution. I tend to think that's a horrible idea myself and most of
29 > >> devrel backs me up on that.
30 > > Of course it is a horrible idea, but isnt it better than seeing someone
31 > > constantly insulting people, instead of being productive, functional,
32 > > objective or at least polite?
33 > > At the moment I feel like there is no real reason _not_ to insult
34 > anyone,
35 > > for those who like to do so, which has to be changed or values will be
36 > > lost completely. It can even be fun to get rid of aggressions collected
37 > > throughout the week at once, yet the gym is the correct place to do so,
38 > > not this list.
39 > >
40 > ++ to that; the message that gets out is that gentoo thinks abusive
41 > behaviour is acceptable. You have to have limits, and people need to be
42 > told that others think they're crossing the line, or it'll degenerate. If
43 > you don't ban at some point, whatever that is, then there's no sanction.
46 > --
47 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
48 >
49 > I agree.
50
51 I am a new Gentoo developer but I have worked on a number of other small
52 projects. This list is a disgrace and most flames are nothing but
53 showboating. If you have an issue then deal with it directly with whomever
54 is causing the problem.
55
56 Writing cutting comments on the list with no other intention than to
57 belittle or discredit a member of the community is unacceptable. *Even* if
58 your comments happen correct.
59
60 Please, lets use -dev for actual development. Perhaps we can have -bitch or
61 -flame for those who really need to vent or to write mails that they know
62 are blatant flame fodder.
65 /**
66 * Gentoo
67 * GPG : 0x2217D168