From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 02:28:58
1 On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 03:11 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:25:17 -0400
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hierarchy would be the following
6 > >
7 > > snapshot -> dev -> build -> alpha -> beta ....
8 >
9 > And that's where the problems start. As you said yourself _snapshot is
10 > something universal so it doesn't really fit anywhere in the chain.
11
12 Yes, order wise snapshots might be quite confusing. Not sure if a well
13 defined definition would clear that up.
14
15 > Similar for _build, it usually runs parallel to normal versioning (a
16 > release also has a build number).
17
18 That's more something specific to say glassfish where builds are weekly
19 https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html#Promoted_binary_builds
20
21 With major ones being milestones, similar to Netbeans.
22 https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html#Milestone_binary_builds
23
24 Glassfish alone is likely to comprise of a guestimated ~20 or so
25 packages. It's Sun's formerly closed source J2EE stack for the most
26 part. Very possible could be more, formerly know as WSDP
27 http://java.sun.com/webservices/jwsdp/index.jsp
28
29 > At best older
30 > portage versions would ignore ebuilds using these new suffixes
31 > resulting in confused users, worst case stuff starts breaking.
32 > If you want to pursue this you should get some numbers of how many
33 > packages could actually make use of these new features, it simply isn't
34 > worth thinking about it for just a handful of packages.
35
36 After others comments, this is definitely something for the future. If
37 and a time comes that it's feasible to introduce such changes safely. I
38 do agree before acceptable or implementation the amount of packages that
39 can benefit from it would surely help justify it or not.
40
41 Now I doubt it's feasible for me alone to figure out if it can benefit
42 all 4k+ packages :) So hopefully others can chime in briefly on if they
43 can benefit or not. Maybe email me directly to I can start a tally. Only
44 if you have packages that can benefit, no need otherwise.
45
46 With that said, what percentage or ruff # of packages do you all think
47 would need to benefit to justify it? That way if it's hard to find say
48 50 and min is like 500+, then no reason to look into it any further.
51 William L. Thomson Jr.
52 Gentoo/Java