From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:59:13
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:50:29 -0400
3 > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 07/30/12 10:41, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:35:36 -0400
7 >> > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> >> On 07/27/12 16:16, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
10 >> >>>
11 >> >>> No user will be happy with whatever we decide to use as a default.
12 >> >>
13 >> >> The defaults should be what's best for the most people, with a bias
14 >> >> towards safety. Why don't we just take a survey and choose the most
15 >> >> common utf8 response?
16 >> >
17 >> > How can you take a survey like that? How will you ensure it actually
18 >> > hits the majority? How will you define the majority?
19 >> >
20 >>
21 >> Considering that the alternative is to force everyone to change it
22 >> manually, you can do it however you want and it'll be an improvement.
23 >
24 > My point here is that you want the thing to change. So you first try to
25 > convince people here to change. We practically did a small survey here
26 > and in the result we didn't agree on doing the change.
27 >
28 > So you're saying we should do another survey on another group, hoping
29 > that this time the result will be on your side.
30 >
31 >> 1) Create a webpage with a bunch of options, count the results
32 >>
33 >> 2) Ask the g.o mailing lists, count responses manually
34 >>
35 >> 3) Use google docs like the website survey that went out a few days
36 >> ago
37 >>
38 >> It won't hit everyone, but no survey ever does. As long as you get a
39 >> large enough unbiased sample, it doesn't matter. And anything would be
40 >> an improvement, so it doesn't matter anyway.
41 >
42 > It depends on who the 'unbiased sample' is. Are you interested only in
43 > opinion of Gentoo users who visit the website? Who sync once a day?
44 > Once a week? Who follow Gentoo Planet? Who participate in the forums?
45 >
46 > We can create the survey and announce it everywhere. But it still won't
47 > catch many old-time Gentoo users who can actually have something
48 > opposite to say. It won't be unbiased.
49
50 I was thinking about this, and I suspect that a survey period of 1-2
51 months is likely fine. It should also be enough to scoop up people who
52 run servers and monitor those servers for security updates.
55 :wq