From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: michael@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:45:27
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:50:29 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 07/30/12 10:41, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:35:36 -0400
6 > > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On 07/27/12 16:16, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
9 > >>>
10 > >>> No user will be happy with whatever we decide to use as a default.
11 > >>
12 > >> The defaults should be what's best for the most people, with a bias
13 > >> towards safety. Why don't we just take a survey and choose the most
14 > >> common utf8 response?
15 > >
16 > > How can you take a survey like that? How will you ensure it actually
17 > > hits the majority? How will you define the majority?
20 > Considering that the alternative is to force everyone to change it
21 > manually, you can do it however you want and it'll be an improvement.
22
23 My point here is that you want the thing to change. So you first try to
24 convince people here to change. We practically did a small survey here
25 and in the result we didn't agree on doing the change.
26
27 So you're saying we should do another survey on another group, hoping
28 that this time the result will be on your side.
29
30 > 1) Create a webpage with a bunch of options, count the results
31 >
32 > 2) Ask the g.o mailing lists, count responses manually
33 >
34 > 3) Use google docs like the website survey that went out a few days
35 > ago
36 >
37 > It won't hit everyone, but no survey ever does. As long as you get a
38 > large enough unbiased sample, it doesn't matter. And anything would be
39 > an improvement, so it doesn't matter anyway.
40
41 It depends on who the 'unbiased sample' is. Are you interested only in
42 opinion of Gentoo users who visit the website? Who sync once a day?
43 Once a week? Who follow Gentoo Planet? Who participate in the forums?
44
45 We can create the survey and announce it everywhere. But it still won't
46 catch many old-time Gentoo users who can actually have something
47 opposite to say. It won't be unbiased.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny