From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:00:10
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Wed Jun 23 2004, 12:08:36PM EDT]
2 > Would comments in the ebuild not be enough? Look at the
3 > vmware-workstation-4.5.2 ebuild for an example.
4 >
5 > I don't see why it would not be easy enough to comment the reasons an
6 > ebuild might not be marked stable. Another example that I can think of
7 > is the xorg-x11 ebuilds. You can see an obvious TODO list before it is
8 > considered stable.
9
10 I don't think comments would be enough. Many arch maintainers are
11 using ekeyword and ignoring the rest of the ebuild, because it is too
12 much to take the time to read through every ebuild looking for red
13 flags. Also, comments make it impossible to use repoman to do the
14 checking unless they're in a specific format, and at that point you
15 might as well put things in a variable or in metadata
16
17 Regards,
18 Aron
21 Aron Griffis