From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] license issue with fretsonfire
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 17:24:43
1 Arun Raghavan wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 18:17 +0200, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >
5 >> I think the code can be considered GPL-2 (i will check if there is no
6 >> header specifying something else) and for the fonts, I will have to add
7 >> 2 licenses not in the tree at the moment.
8 >> But what to do with the songs ? I suppose it's not the first GPL game
9 >> having "non very clear" license about data. How games team is managing
10 >> that ?
13 > The fonts license seems to be the same as licenses/BitstreamVera which
14 > is in-tree.
15 >
16 > As for the songs, does it make sense to put that in a separate package
17 > that the code package depends on? The package can have the restrictive
18 > license it is distributed under and RESTRICT="mirror bindist".
19 >
20 > -- Arun
21 >
22 I've contacted upstream and I sent me the Debian bug [1] about
23 fretsonfire. They suffered from similar issues.
24
25 To solve fonts issue, I think we can fix that like Debian: using other
26 fonts. We can even using the same ones.
27 To solve the songs issue, I see two solutions:
28 1. removing songs from the tarball (should we do/mirror a new tarball ?)
29 and adding packages with free songs (Debian's solution)
30 2. using RESTRICT="mirror bindist" as Arun proposed (btw, is bindist
31 really for "binary" because it's in python so there is no binary)
32 I don't know if we can solve the song issue with a separated package.
33 Because this songs are following the Toesto (Finish organization to
34 protect artists work iirc) rules they must be bundled with the game. We
35 probably should do the same. Or maybe RESTRICT="fetch" can solve this ?
36 I think the real issue with the songs is there is no real license linked
37 with it except "you can't do anything with them except listening to". I
38 think even with the most restrictive parameters, we can't deal with
39 that. Am I right ?
40
41 I think the most secure way for Gentoo is to do as Debian is doing. May
42 be even using Debian's package.
43
44 I would appreciate some help/advice here as I'm not a lawyer :)
45
46 [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=383316
47
48 Thanks,