From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 04:51:49
1 On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:09:33 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:46:06 +0100
5 > Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
6 > > The issue is with comparison rules. For the current use case that's
7 > > not an issue as it's simply a superset, so we could just use the new
8 > > rules for everything. But if the rules are changed in an incompatible
9 > > way, which rules would be used to compare version(EAPI_X) with
10 > > version(EAPI_Y)?
11 >
12 > You pretty much have to have a way of mapping an EAPI version onto an
13 > absolute version if you want to handle it sanely.
14
15 Right, and that's likely to cause a mess in the long run IMO.
16
17 > > > Ditto for naming rules.
18 > >
19 > > Those are even more of an issue, as they apply before we know the
20 > > eventual EAPI (need to access the category/package directory before
21 > > you can parse the ebuild filename)
22 >
23 > Mmm, no. You have some concept of a superset of all supported naming
24 > rules, then refine once you've extracted the EAPI.
25
26 Assuming the current package manager supports all used EAPIs, otherwise
27 a formerly invalid name could still break it.
28
29 Marius
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list