From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:45:04
1 On 22 July 2014 19:25, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 7/21/14, 11:52 PM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 > > Michał has documented the shortcomings of dynamic deps in our wiki[0].
5 > > (Thank you!) This documentation also includes two of our possible
6 > > solutions.
7 > >
8 > > [0] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Dynamic_dependencies>
9 >
10 > Thank you, this is very useful. I didn't understand the issue much
11 > before reading that page.
12 >
13 > One question: why for "Removal of a USE flag along with the relevant
14 > dependencies" dynamic deps say "revbump + unnecessary rebuild"? What
15 > would happen without the revbump?
16 >
17 > > 1. Improve dynamic-deps. This is, as Michał pointed out earlier in
18 > > this thread a pipe dream.
19 >
20 > Agreed.
21 >
22 > > 2. Remove dynamic-deps. This is what I think currently makes sense.
23 >
24 > +1 I also think it's the best option.
25 >
26 > Paweł
29 Ok, we can side step this discussion partially:
30
31 Lets pretend for a moment dynamic deps get banned.
32
33 People will still unconsciously make that mistake and things will still
34 break when they do.
35
36 So we'll probably need a repoman check that is smart enough to know "X is
37 modified" and compare the DEPEND fields with the previous incarnation prior
38 to commit, and then at very least, warn people doing `repoman full` that
39 they've modified the dependencies, and that a -r1 bump is thus highly
40 recommended.
41
42 And that check can be added *now* prior to banning/disabling dynamic deps.
43
44 And people who want to pay attention to that warning can start doing it
45 before policy dictates they must.
49 Kent
50
51 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL