From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] generating ChangeLog files automatically from `cvs commit`
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:43:50
1 On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:18:21 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Tuesday 16 August 2005 07:03 pm, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 | > On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 06:18:29PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 | > > logic:
6 | > Question:
7 | > - are CVS commit messages UTF8 safe?
8 |
9 | GLEP 31 came to mind when i was writing the e-mail but i forgot to
10 | mention it ... maybe ciaran can hop in here
11
12 GLEP 31 is withdrawn until Gentoo gets some means of removing commit
13 access from people who say "nyah nyah I don't feel like following the
14 rules and so I'll just carry on breaking stuff as I see fit". As it
15 stands I've been told by various people that they have no interest in
16 ensuring that their commits are UTF-8 safe (even if there's an
17 automated check that warns them when they're about to break something),
18 and I don't consider it fair to force lots of repoman warnings upon
19 other developers who *do* care about that kind of thing who just happen
20 to be the next person to touch a package that got broken.
21
22 *shrug* So, if you want to be nice and use UTF-8, please do so. CVS is
23 fine with it. Chances are whoever writes the CVS -> changelog tool will
24 get it wrong with text wrapping at least once, but it's easy enough to
25 fix.
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm