From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 20:44:15
1 On 11/07/2014 08:56 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
2 >>
3 >> I think you didn't get the idea: it doesn't make much sense to compare
4 >> the speed if the correctness differs.
5 >>
6 >> Also, I don't understand these discussions. The time dependency
7 >> resolving takes is marginal compared to the whole update process, no
8 >> matter what PM you use.
11 > When it compiles in background after all dependencies was solved, it
12 > needs no user intervention. But when I need to solve some blocks or do
13 > some tests during maintaining work, the dependency solving time is what
14 > I care about, as I need to wait for it and then investigate the results.
17 I see, however... I prefer to have a correct answer instead of an
18 incorrect one, even if the correct one takes longer.
19
20 That goes _especially_ for testing and maintaining work.
21
22 Every time people compare portage to paludis I read stuff like "but
23 paludis is slower". That is incomplete information to put it diplomatic.
24
25 Do you really care so much about speed that you don't mind wrong results?