From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:44:21
1 On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 07:10:04PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > [ argh! resend to list this time... yay for inconsistent mailing list
3 > headers and a few strange people who get upset with Cc:s :) ]
4 >
5 > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:53:52 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > | Do we have a plan to deprecate devfs or do we plan to support both
8 > | udev and devfs indefinitely? If we can get some agreement on how
9 > | profiles should be handled in the future (referencing our previous
10 > | thread on static profiles and things like GLEP19), I think it would
11 > | make sense to standardize on udev going forward.
12 >
13 > Well, that can't happen across the board until 2.6.x works on
14 > everything. OTOH, it'd be nice if we started suggesting udev (without
15 > that wretched tarball hack) for anyone running 2.6.x. Aside from one
16 > rather nasty 64bit-related b0rkage, udev's been doing very nicely.
17
18 That b0rkage was really in all arches, it was just that 64bit machines
19 showed it in a much more apparent manner :)
20
21 I hate writing string parsing code in C...
22
23 greg k-h
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list