From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 05:51:44
1 On 09/06/16 15:31, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 06/09/2016 01:03 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> Proxy-maint team: do you guys feel that your project and/or process are
5 >> a suitable starting point to becoming a proper Gentoo developer?
6 > As with everything, it depends on the individual. One can certainly cut
7 > their teeth and learn/contribute a lot through proxy maint, but at the
8 > same time, they could just do the bare minimum to keep their package
9 > updated. The idea behind the project is to facility user contributions.
10 > Part of that includes ensuring proper QA and writing good, well formed
11 > ebuilds. This certainly provides the opportunity to get an individual
12 > moving toward developership, but obviously, once again, depends on the
13 > individual.
14
15 I'd also like to expand on this a little further to point out that we
16 have recently enacted a policy to help track/list what a given
17 contributor actually contributes to through the use of bugs[0,1] which
18 could be beneficial to someone's application to the recruiters. Note
19 that this isn't intended as a replacement for the recruitment process.
20
21 <plug>
22 That being said, there are still a lot of bugs and PR's to be done, so
23 we would welcome any new members wishing to help facilitate user
24 contributions!
25 </plug>
26
27 [0] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers/Managing_Requests