From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Multilib ABI identifiers for NEEDED.ELF.2 (GLEP 64) and binary package soname dependencies
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 17:37:05
1 On 01/03/2015 01:50 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 03-01-2015 01:24:48 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> In order to solve this problem, I propose that we extend NEEDED.ELF.2 to
4 >> include a new field containing a multilib ABI identifier. The extension
5 >> will be backward-compatible, and NEEDED.ELF.2 will only need to be
6 >> regenerated on systems with multilib ABIs that are otherwise
7 >> indistinguishable (multilib x32 and mips systems).
8 >
9 > Wouldn't it be a good idea to use NEEDED.ELF.3 for this?
10
11 I don't think it's worth the trouble to burden all users with the need
12 to generate a new file for all of their installed and binary packages,
13 especially since the existing NEEDED.ELF.2 format is already sufficient
14 to distinguish multilib ABIs an all systems except for multilib x32 and
15 mips systems. By extending NEEDED.ELF.2, we can eliminate migration
16 hassles for the vast majority of users.
17 --
18 Thanks,
19 Zac