From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:20:13
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 18:47 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Chris White wrote:
3 > > Alright, so here's what I think on the whole thing now that I made a nice tidy
4 > > [Summary] thread.
5 > >
6 > > There seems to be some concern about AT testers having more privileges than
7 > > some other devs. First off, I hope everyone saw the readonly access, and
8 > > even so, the whole point of this thing is to make development smoother.
9 >
10 > Let me clarify here. I'm not concerned about ATs having more privileges
11 > at all. I just want to know why if we're making them full developers
12 > for all intents and purposes, we don't go the extra step and get them
13 > commit access after a probationary period? It seems like this is
14 > supposed to be the end goal anyway. Basically, I feel like this GLEP
15 > goes outside the bounds of what I think of when somebody mentions the
16 > arch testers. Maybe it's just me though.
19 Maybe the email address is not such an issue, but it does seem fair to
20 people taking time and commitment as a 'kind' of reward .. after of
21 course the probation period. Sort of off the topic, but wanted to
22 clarify.
23
24 Why I did though say that read-only access to CVS do make sense for AT
25 testers, is that while they will not be actually fixing bugs (OK, so
26 they can make patches, etc), they will though need to test stuff, and
27 especially if its an important or urgent fix, not needing to wait for
28 the rsync mirrors will be a plus for them.
32 Martin Schlemmer