From: "Alin Năstac" <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: please stop using foo-${PV}-bar.patch in other ebuild versions than ${PV}
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:04:42
1 On 3/23/09 1:44 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Alin Năstac wrote:
3 > <snip>
4 >> Fine, then remove $PV from patch name and use it in any ebuild version
5 >> you want. Or just decouple the patch version from the ebuild version
6 >> (foo-bar-r1.patch sounds OK to me).
9 > What exactly is your problem that you are trying to solve here?
10 > Posting to the community to stop doing something without providing
11 > reasons to stop is not going to go anywhere. I like having the PV in
12 > the patch name..so, you haven't convinced me.
13 >
14 IMO prefixing a patch name with $P creates the perception that the patch
15 is used only from ebuild version $PV. Apparently we do not agree on this
16 so there is not much more I can tell to convince others.
17
18 I suppose what everyone does in their part of the tree is their
19 business, but a small subset of packages I maintain have other
20 maintainers as well. It is annoying to see rules you assume being
21 respected on your ebuilds being broken at every bump made by others.