From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:12:52
1 Duncan wrote: [Fri Jan 06 2006, 09:15:42AM CST]
2 > Tell me, from someone who obviously has some FBSD experience, what
3 > advantages does Gentoo/FreeBSD have over the normal FreeBSD? Why would
4 > someone use it who is currently using regular FreeBSD, and why are you
5 > spending the time? There are obviously reasons, as you're a very
6 > talented person spending quite a bit of time on the project, but equally
7 > obviously, I'm not familiar enough with them to make a good G/FBSD
8 > representative, at this point.
9
10 Most of the things that people like about Gentoo have little to do with
11 the underlying C library, kernel, and userland. Instead, it's portage,
12 sane configuration files, and dependency-based start-up scripts that
13 tend to attract people, and as such it's not surprising that people
14 would like to have all of that on a nominally *BSD-based system (for
15 those people who actually do care about the underlying C library,
16 kernel, and userland).
17
18 That's the practical reason. A slightly more idealistic reason is that
19 part of the Gentoo philosophy is that packages should work as portably
20 as possible, and we should be a member-in-good-standing of the
21 community. The native *BSD teams have been known to patch their ports
22 to work on their systems without sending their patches upstream. We
23 have a single portage tree that handles packages for all archs (and
24 OSs), and our Alt teams work hard to generate patches that are (a)
25 applied independent of arch/os/whatever and (b) sent upstream. Consequently,
26 work on non-Linux actually does a fair bit to improve the entire
27 community.
28
29 -g2boojum-
30 --
31 Grant Goodyear
32 Gentoo Developer
33 g2boojum@g.o
34 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
35 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76