From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:19:32
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò posted
2 <200601061223.57432@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 on Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:23:52 +0100:
4
5 > On Friday 06 January 2006 09:37, Duncan wrote:
6 >> Well, for that matter, "distribution" is considered at least by my *BSD
7 >> friends, to be a peculiarly Linux term.  From their perspective, Linux has
8 >> 1001 "distributions", but they only have the one *BSD they choose to use.
9 > That's what we started changing. Gentoo/FreeBSD is by all means a FreeBSD
10 > distribution (actually, PC-BSD started this a bit before of us).
11 > We didn't fork it to change the base system, we use FreeBSD basesystem and
12 > portage, so it's not like others BSD.
13
14 And I definitely wish you well in your G/FBSD efforts, but when I
15 mentioned them on my local ISP's unix (*ix) group, the FBSD groupies
16 reaction was "Yuck!"
17
18 Tell me, from someone who obviously has some FBSD experience, what
19 advantages does Gentoo/FreeBSD have over the normal FreeBSD? Why would
20 someone use it who is currently using regular FreeBSD, and why are you
21 spending the time? There are obviously reasons, as you're a very
22 talented person spending quite a bit of time on the project, but equally
23 obviously, I'm not familiar enough with them to make a good G/FBSD
24 representative, at this point.
25
26 (If you like and don't consider this topical for the list or thread, mail
27 me. If I have the question, however, it's possible others do as well,
28 and just haven't asked, so maybe it is worth keeping to the list.
29 Whatever. /I'm/ interested, anyway.)
30
31 TIA
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
37 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list