From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:08:09
1 On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't think it's a good idea for Gentoo to encourage users to have
4 > /usr on a separate partition. We should probably remove the separate
5 > /usr partition from "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem usage example" in our
6 > handbook:
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap2_pre1
11 Well, if we want to do that then we should also update:
12 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
13
14 Of course - that is an initramfs-less configuration, and such a thing
15 would be nearly impossible to do with /usr on root unless you
16 basically don't put anything of value on the LVM volumes in the first
17 place. You could put everything but /boot on LVM and then use an
18 initramfs. Or, you need to cover mounting /usr, /var, etc from the
19 initramfs.
20
21 And I don't think it is a good idea to NOT have a supported RAID/LVM
22 configuration. That is hardly an edge case...
23
24 Rich