From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:34:30
1 On 10/16/2011 06:07 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I don't think it's a good idea for Gentoo to encourage users to have
5 >> /usr on a separate partition. We should probably remove the separate
6 >> /usr partition from "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem usage example" in our
7 >> handbook:
8 >>
9 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap2_pre1
12 > Well, if we want to do that then we should also update:
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
14 >
15 > Of course - that is an initramfs-less configuration, and such a thing
16 > would be nearly impossible to do with /usr on root unless you
17 > basically don't put anything of value on the LVM volumes in the first
18 > place. You could put everything but /boot on LVM and then use an
19 > initramfs. Or, you need to cover mounting /usr, /var, etc from the
20 > initramfs.
21 >
22 > And I don't think it is a good idea to NOT have a supported RAID/LVM
23 > configuration. That is hardly an edge case...
24
25 If those LVM volumes require userspace tools to mount, then I think it's
26 perfectly reasonable to expect them to use either an initramfs or a
27 simple linuxrc approach [1] to ensure that /usr is mounted before init
28 starts.
29
30 [1]
31 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_20749880f5bc5feda141488498729fe8.xml