From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] July Council Meeting: Requested Agenda Item
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:12:04
1 Congratulations. I just unsubscribed from the
2 gwn-feedback-alias after reading your mail.
3
4 * Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o> [06/06/10 04:28 +0100]:
5 > 1. Reliability. The GWN claims to be a weekly publication, yet it
6 > frequently fails to publish without prior warning. There was no edition
7 > this week, and Patrick Lauer says that it is "unknown" whether there
8 > will be an edition next week as Ulrich Plate is AWOL.
9
10 Several times Kurt or I took over the job of publicing the
11 GWN when Ulrich asked us. So, there is a backup, but he
12 didn't asked for this week.
13
14 > 2. Permissions. Although it could be considered flattering that the GWN
15 > should choose a developer's blog as inspiration for an article, they
16 > should ensure that they have the developer / author's permission before
17 > quoting them (see previous complaints by brix, ciaranm and others).
18 >
19 > I also believe that when posting an article or interview, a copy should
20 > be sent to the relevant people to ensure that they are ok with what is
21 > being posted (my dev of the week interview, for example, was rather
22 > screwed up and misrepresentative). When someone contacts GWN to have
23 > something corrected, it would be appreciated were the GWN staff to at
24 > least deign to acknowledge receipt, even if for some reason they choose
25 > not to honour the corrections or post a retraction (although refusing to
26 > publish corrections is extremely insulting to those wronged).
27
28 And I expect the same from you. You should ask the affected
29 people first before starting a discussion about them on our
30 public mailing lists. This is a device I can give you for
31 further userrelations-activities.
32
33 > 4. Credit. Care should be taken to ensure that crrect credit is given.
34
35 It is. Either as "Author" or "Contributor".
36
37 > Another thing that concerns me is the way the articles are written. It
38 > is blatanly obvious that the GWN writers are not native English speakers
39 > as both the grammar and the flow of the articles is far from attractive.
40 > Having read through the archives, I notice that there was once a time
41 > when the GWN was a great publication, and I would like to think that it
42 > could become great yet again; in its current state, though, it is doing
43 > more harm than good.
44
45 It's quite interesting to see, that the GWN and also
46 Debian's Weekly Newsletter is run by Germans mostly. Is
47 there a problem with native speakers to run a periodically
48 newsletter for a long time (> 3 years)?
49
50 > Lack of content and poorly written or incorrect articles are often
51 > justified by the GWN team on grounds of overwork and insufficient
52 > manpower. When I asked why they were not recruiting, I was informed that
53 > no-one has any interest in contributing. Upon speaking with others,
54 > however, I find that this is not the case -- people are interested, but
55 > fear (and rightly so) that their work will be edited in such a way that
56 > it is no longer something with which they want to be associated.
57
58 Subscribe to the gwn-feedback-alias and read or comment the
59 submissions to the GWN. Make sure that every user will
60 receive and answer. And forward questions to the
61 arch-teams. Isn't that userrel's job? I didn't saw your
62 contributions there yet.
63
64 Regards, Lars