From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why I left the Gentoo Linux development team
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:39:42
1 On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 05:07, Geert Bevin wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > since a number of people privately asked me why I decided to leave the
5 > Gentoo Linux development team, I wrote an article that explains what
6 > drove me to this decision. For those that are interested, it can be read
7 > here : http://www.uwyn.com/resources/gentoo_departure.html
8
9 You know, I really shouldn't say this in public, but any sympathy I had
10 for you just vanished when I read that doc. You post a log of
11 conversation between two people showing at best an interest in a C++
12 based portage2 but no guarantee thats the path portage would be going
13 down. And then you down play the objections people had to your plan of
14 portage 2. I was one of the people against the idea and I wasn't the
15 only one by far.
16
17 You know, things change, plans change, people change. If you feel your
18 work had been thrown away unfairly thats one thing and a valid reason to
19 quit. If you feel it was a waste of your time due to a lack of
20 communication or other people in the project not agreeing with your
21 work, thats life, thats opensource, deal. If you don't agree with the
22 decisions then leave, if it were important enough I would. But instead
23 of stating that and questioning the decision, you slander people in your
24 "excuse".
25
26 >From my experiences with you and based on the doc you posted I think you
27 should take a look at yourself before accusing anyone else of "tendency
28 to monopolise". I was there in the channel when you two had a
29 discussion, and drobbins, the Chief Architect and Project Lead, vetoed
30 one of your ideas. You couldn't handle not being in complete control of
31 portage v1 so you resigned from being the portage v1 release engineer
32 and then commenced into bitching to me and other people.
33
34 In that document you present your view point and manage to slander a
35 couple other developers in the process. Although I don't really see why
36 you wrote the doc and decided to announce it far and wide unless your
37 intent was to tarnish existing developers and the Gentoo project over
38 all. As a (minor) developer that angers me.
39
40 I think people should see there is more then one view point and I'm
41 frankly infuriated that you brought up a private matter between a
42 developer (Vitaly) and a few other certain members of the development
43 team _that had nothing to do with the reason you cleam to have left
44 Gentoo_.
45
46 I'm going to end it there...
47
48 As a developer you made many good contributions to Gentoo and we will
49 miss you as a developer. Its too bad it had to end in a public temper
50 tantrum. I hope you have success in whatever you do.
54 Bruce A. Locke
55 blocke@××××××.org