From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 07:51:48
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2021/12/01 08:45, Alec Warner wrote:
4
5 > On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 10:16 PM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> On 2021/12/01 03:32, William Hubbs wrote:
9 >>> This is the part of this that I don't understand. If we aren't enforcing
10 >>> an ID, why do we care which ID to try first? It seems to be an
11 >>> unnecessary step since users can pick the IDs they want by putting
12 >>> settings in make.conf.
13 >> Because when running clusters of hosts it's useful to have the UIDs for
14 >> "system" users match. Yes, I know this won't match in a multi-distro
15 >> setup, but at least for those of us with clusters consisting only of
16 >> Gentoo hosts it will *usually* match. Changing these are possible, but
17 >> a nuisance, so having it "just work" for the usual case is great IMHO.
18 > So questions from my side are:
19 > Does your cluster not have human users?
20 In this case none.  So no need for centralized database otherwise.
21 > Do the userids for the human users also not have to match between
22 > hosts in the cluster?
23
24 In certain environments we do need that, which is where nss_ldap and
25 friends come in.  In those environments the system ids doesn't matter
26 though, because only /home is shared :).
27
28 Kind Regards,
29 Jaco