From: Scott Shawcroft <tannewt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugday Improvements
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:44:11
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Jonathan Smith wrote:
5
6 > Scott Shawcroft wrote:
7 >
8 >> The bugday database would hold additional bug information. Not
9 >> the data found in bugzilla. We get the available info from the
10 >> bugzilla DB. The bugday DB is a supplement.
13 > your origional email said "User logins using usernames and
14 > passwords from bugzilla." this implies that you would be porting
15 > the login db from bugzy to b-day. perhaps i misread that, but if
16 > you use the same db for logins, how will you keep the two synced?
17 > if i change my password on bugzy, would it be changed on bday too?
18
19 We were thinking we'd verify passwords etc against the bugzilla DB.
20 No separate info, just supplemental info in the bugday DB.
23 >> They would 'vote' via either adding a bug id or adding a vote to
24 >> an existing bugday bug via a link.*
27 > this again implies that you would need the bugzilla database. how
28 > else would you keep track of which bug is which? iirc, jforman said
29 > it was about 1.7gb... thats alot to manage in *two* places. this is
30 > more of a technical issue than a problem with your plan, but i'm
31 > just wondering how you plan to do this.
32
33 When we add a bug to bugday it just tracks the ID. The other info
34 like status etc. is taken from the bugzilla database. If it helps, we
35 can and will be performing read only functions on the bugzilla database.
38 >>>> the problem i see is that easy bugs will simply be fixed by
39 >>>> developers. the more difficult bugs will be either swept
40 >>>> under the carpet or passed to maintainer-needed or bday.
43 >> Could you explain this more? What developers actively work on
44 >> has no direct link to bugdays. First and foremost bugdays are to
45 >> give direction to users. However, since users cannot commit
46 >> changes, the developers are involved.
49 > you said that bugs would be ranked by difficulty and users with
50 > experience "x" could work on bugs of the same experience level.
51 > say, for instance, a user is very new to gentoo, or at least to
52 > portage. if a dev gets a bug saying "package x does not install doc
53 > y", the dev knows that all (s)he has to do is add y to dodoc.
54 > consequently, the dev does it in a matter of seconds and the bug is
55 > gone.
56 >
57 > if i understand correctly, developers add their own bugs to the
58 > bugday list. since simple bugs like the above take just about as
59 > much time to solve as to add to an arbitrary list, i don't see any
60 > easy bugs being added to bday for newbie users to solve.
61 >
62 > maybe i'm wrong, but thats how i would generally do things.
63 >
64 The bugs will be added by the users. Even now they are added by
65 people not associated with the bug, ie kloeri, GurliGebis, me and
66 others. One of the lower levels of bughunting would be ebuild writing.
67
68 >> To see how well it works is yet to be seen. However, it would be
69 >> nice to extend the community into actual meetings. I believe
70 >> (disclaimer) that learning techniques for bughunting and the like
71 >> could be better learned in person. Having multiple people in one
72 >> location is more effective and prevents bughunting from being too
73 >> individual of an experience when its really focused on community.
77 > this is true. if you can manage to arrange it, and its not too far
78 > away (i'm pretty poor :-), i'd love to come.
79 >
80 > the sense of community would also be strengthened a good deal. i
81 > read an article about obsd's hackathon, and it seems as if they are
82 > all one big group of friends. maybe a stronger sense of community
83 > would cut down on some of the silly arguments too...
84
85 Exactly. Just don't consider the bugday real life events like
86 conferences. More like your standard LUG.
89 >>>> occasionally user input. ex: if i can't reproduce and a user
90 >>>> takes a month to do something that should have taken a few
91 >>>> seconds, it is hard to progress quickly on the bug
94 >> Right and bugdays could prevent these instances from being over a
95 >> month long. It may also a way to bring more attention and
96 >> knowledge about bugzilla.
99 > well... if a user files a bug and the next bugday isn't for 3
100 > weeks, that doesn't seem to help much, unless i am misunderstanding
101 > you.
102
103 I realised that argument, "prevent these instances from being over a
104 month long". With that said, I believe there are a lot of bugs just
105 sitting for over a month. Hopefully bugdays would catch those. Also,
106 the new bugday website will not be in operation just for bugdays. It
107 will always be up and changing.
108
109 ~Scott
112 > --
113 >
114 > smithj
115 >
116 > Gentoo Developer [ desktop stuff && network monitoring &&
117 > documentation ]
130 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list