From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fraunhofer FDK license
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:47:28
1 > >>>>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > > I'd add it, it is a gpl incompatible opensource license.
3 >
4 > No problem to add it. But IMHO the usage restriction in section 3
5 > makes it non-free:
6 >
7 > "You may use this FDK AAC Codec software or modifications thereto only
8 > for purposes that are authorized by appropriate patent licenses."
9 >
10 > Ulrich
11
12 Indeed, and this opens another can of worms since (as far as I can see) there
13 are no specific license clauses in the AAC patent license for applications
14 that may be distributed without cost. I.e., licensing fees still apply as "per
15 unit fee".
16
17 http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/aac-overview.aspx
18
19 Sometimes I have the feeling that Fraunhofer (which is after all funded 30% by
20 German federal and state money) just "does not get it".
23 Andreas K. Huettel
24 Gentoo Linux developer
25 kde, sci, arm, tex, printing