From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fraunhofer FDK license
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:18:54
1 On 07/26/2012 12:45 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >>>>>>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >>> I'd add it, it is a gpl incompatible opensource license.
4 >>
5 >> No problem to add it. But IMHO the usage restriction in section 3
6 >> makes it non-free:
7 >>
8 >> "You may use this FDK AAC Codec software or modifications thereto only
9 >> for purposes that are authorized by appropriate patent licenses."
10 >>
11 >> Ulrich
12 >
13 > Indeed, and this opens another can of worms since (as far as I can see) there
14 > are no specific license clauses in the AAC patent license for applications
15 > that may be distributed without cost. I.e., licensing fees still apply as "per
16 > unit fee".
17
18 Tell me where I should categorize it =)
19
20 lu
21
22 PS: help in improving libav aac encoder by leveraging atouv would be
23 always welcome.
27 Luca Barbato
28 Gentoo/linux
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero