From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoostats continued] Collected data and justification for it
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 06:17:25
1 On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:29 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > 1) list of selected packages (@world)
5 >
6 > We would use this to determine the popularity of individual packages,
7 > plus by scanning their dependencies we would be able to make combined
8 > statistics for direct usage + dependencies of other selected
9 > packages.
10 > This would allow us to judge which packages need more of our
11 > attention.
12
13 At work we install a lot of dependencies through a few company-specific
14 virtual packages, e.g. company/developer for all stuff useful for our
15 developers. These packages would then be missed in the statistics. I'm
16 not sure how prevalent this is and to what extend it wills skew the
17 statistics.
18
19 Hans