From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoostats continued] Collected data and justification for it
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 07:49:35
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2020/05/08 08:17, Hans de Graaff wrote:
4 > On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 09:29 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>
6 >> 1) list of selected packages (@world)
7 >>
8 >> We would use this to determine the popularity of individual packages,
9 >> plus by scanning their dependencies we would be able to make combined
10 >> statistics for direct usage + dependencies of other selected
11 >> packages.
12 >> This would allow us to judge which packages need more of our
13 >> attention.
14 > At work we install a lot of dependencies through a few company-specific
15 > virtual packages, e.g. company/developer for all stuff useful for our
16 > developers. These packages would then be missed in the statistics. I'm
17 > not sure how prevalent this is and to what extend it wills skew the
18 > statistics.
19
20 You raise a valid point.
21
22 The company/developer package itself I don't think is relevant.
23
24 The fact that some/package::gentoo is installed as a dependency of
25 company/developer may carry some relevance.
26
27 So we do need the full list of packages installed, filtered to ::gentoo,
28 but there needs to be an indicated whether it's installed because it's
29 in @world, as a dep of something in @world (which is possibly not in
30 ::gentoo), or is some form of no-longer needed dep.
31
32 Otherwise I agree with Michał on the four items to be taken.
33
34 I do still think that the ability to define additional information sets
35 would be useful for building more invasive functionality sets, not
36 necessarily supported by Gentoo.  For an organization if they can define
37 a set that grabs a certain amount of hardware details for example that
38 could help with inventory management.
39
40 Kind Regards,
41 Jaco