From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoostats continued] Collected data and justification for it
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 18:11:50
1 On Fri, 8 May 2020 09:49:18 +0200
2 Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
3
4 > So we do need the full list of packages installed, filtered to ::gentoo,
5 > but there needs to be an indicated whether it's installed because it's
6 > in @world, as a dep of something in @world (which is possibly not in
7 > ::gentoo), or is some form of no-longer needed dep.
8
9 A dedicated report of orphans that are installed, from ::gentoo, would
10 probably help here.
11
12 Because you can't directly assume orphans are "user wanted", but they
13 *can* be.
14
15 That's why its important during --depclean to read the output and
16 re-add any to @world you need kept.
17
18 If you never depclean, then you get to skip that step.
19
20 ( And I have *many* times added -1 to installation of something I
21 wanted, out of habit, because I do so much manual hacking via emerge -1
22 that adding it is an impulse! )