From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 02:35:44
1 On 08/04/16 02:42, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 08:39:07PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 01:18:01PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 >>> Personally I think that merging things into /usr is a major policy decision
5 >>> that is likely to contravene upstream installation locations. I wouldn't
6 >>> do it lightly, if at all.
7 >> Actually, there are upstreams that already do this, and we are the ones
8 >> that move things around.
9 >>
10 >> Specifically, one example is coreutils. The ebuild installs everything
11 >> in /usr/bin, then we move all of the binaries around.
12 > There was a bypo here. "the ebuild" should be upstream. The default
13 > installation location of all coreutils binaries is /usr/bin, then we
14 > move everything around in the ebuild.
15 > We are deviating from upstream in this example.
16 >
17 > William
18 >
19 I would expect this isn't the only example of this in Gentoo .. we
20 customise the packages to make sense to the Gentoo distro, not conform
21 to a multitude of random "standards" applied by many developers. So,
22 whilst I accept that its desirable to match 'upstream' - this isn't
23 always going to be possible.
24
25 I would also re-iterate, as I'm sure you're aware .. there ARE
26 differences between sbin and bin .. unless of course you spend all your
27 time in a Rooted VM where it doesn't matter if you accidentally trash
28 your system. Some of us maintain a sensible user/superuser distinction
29 for a variety of reasons, and simplifying your filesystem to suit some
30 particular package style doesn't really sound like good reasoning for
31 causing a lot of headaches for maintainers and a distro overall.
32
33 *puts the paint can down*