From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 01:42:54
1 On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 08:39:07PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 01:18:01PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
3 > > Personally I think that merging things into /usr is a major policy decision
4 > > that is likely to contravene upstream installation locations. I wouldn't
5 > > do it lightly, if at all.
6 >
7 > Actually, there are upstreams that already do this, and we are the ones
8 > that move things around.
9 >
10 > Specifically, one example is coreutils. The ebuild installs everything
11 > in /usr/bin, then we move all of the binaries around.
12
13 There was a bypo here. "the ebuild" should be upstream. The default
14 installation location of all coreutils binaries is /usr/bin, then we
15 move everything around in the ebuild.
16 We are deviating from upstream in this example.
17
18 William