From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 10:14:59
1 On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 9:42 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > There was a bypo here. "the ebuild" should be upstream. The default
4 > installation location of all coreutils binaries is /usr/bin, then we
5 > move everything around in the ebuild.
6 > We are deviating from upstream in this example.
9 Keep in mind that following upstream and the /usr merge are somewhat
10 orthogonal. You can just install those binaries in /usr without
11 merging everything over.
12
13 The only issue is that without the merge anybody embedding a path to
14 these binaries would have to fix their packages. Presumably to aid
15 the transition a symlink (at the file level) would be needed for some
16 period of time.
19 Rich