From: dams@×××.fr
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:15:18
1 Spider <spider@g.o> said:
4 [...]
5
6 >> I'd say : let don't do "gentoo desktop"! we just maintain the desktop
7 >> vanilla stuff. Default config is the vanilla one, changed to fit the
8 >> (non desktop) modification that have been done to the core gentoo. If
9 >> the guy wants an unified menu, he emerges the menu system, we provide
10 >> the good config file. If he wants a background for the frame buffer,
11 >> he can put one himself...
12 >>
13 >> That's the best solution : let's customize every pieces without
14 >> thinking about the global desktop experience. The user will choose
15 >> which pieces to put together.
16 >
17 > This is a good way of doing it, and one I agree with completely.
18 >
19 > (That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a uniform theme for Grub,
20 > bootsplash and GDM screens, so the computer doesn't look like its doing
21 > a fast-forward between themes on bootup ;)
22
23 I also totally agree.
24
25 What do the other think about that? Can we start with this as an accepted
26 thing, and try to be more precise on the other points?
29 dams
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list