From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 09:20:53
1 On 02/03/14 19:51, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 05:49:59PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
3 >> Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
4 >>> Sure at some point you have to make things evolve but this upstream
5 >>> solution simply isn't nice for its users.
6 >> That may be, but I don't think it's a distribution's responsibility
7 >> to try to own that problem.
8 > This is my point exactly. Patrick's proposal is that we make this policy
9 > that all config files belong in /etc a distro policy, including
10 > patching upstream software to force it to conform. If we make this a
11 > distro policy and upstream rejects it, there will always be a lot of
12 > work downstream that is imo unnecessary.
13 >
14 > William
17 Right, the only relavent fact here is that /usr and likeminded
18 directories like /lib can be mounted RO and everything will
19 still work.
20 Likewise anything in /usr, /lib, /bin, /sbin, and co. should be
21 for static files, such as for configuration templates which
22 remain modified only by the package manager.
23 And the udev rules don't violate any of that, which makes
24 it perfectly working design, which makes the whole usage
25 of such configuration setup by upstreams so common.
26
27 So the proposal that every config should go to /etc must
28 be somekind of joke. No offense to anyone ;)
29
30 - Samuli