From: Stefano Peluchetti <pelux@××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stable and unstable branches. (auto-bug reports???)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:12:44
1 I know of this problem.
2 The thing that amazes me is that i very rarely find a bug report for the
3 ebuild that doesn't work for me. I usaually commit the bugs i find but
4 now it seems clear that some people does'nt do so.
5 I thing it could be a good idea at this point to introduce an automatic
6 (user indipendent) bug report in portage, so that if ebuild compiling
7 fails or some other errors arise, portage automagically submit a bug to
8 the bug dabatabase of gentoo. That should speed up bugfixing (at lease
9 for the majors bugs that prevent even building) and should' nt be that
10 hard to implement in portage.
11 Bye
12
13 Stefano Peluchetti
14
15 P.S. sorry 4 the bad english
18 Christian Bartl wrote:
19 > I don't think that it would be such a good idea.
20 > I can only speak for myself: As I love Gentoo, but don't have the time
21 > to test
22 > known unstable software I'm sure I would be the first user who never
23 > touches
24 > the unstable branch. I think Gentoo would get the same problems like
25 > GNU/Linux
26 > or Debian: Everyone waits for it getting officially stable and testing
27 > is has
28 > to be done by a few freaks.
29 > Whoever needs a stable Gentoo now only has to read the mailing-lists an
30 > knows
31 > about common problems.
32 > So you great developers: if you want to get you ports tested by many people
33 > don't tell the community (and me :-) that it isn't stable.
34 >
35 > best regards
36 > Christian
37 >