From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:44:42
1 > On Feb 17, 2016, at 5:52 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:00:27 -0500
4 > Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> On 02/08/2016 10:09 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Anthony G. Basile
8 >> <blueness@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> what does in-house tool mean? i'm a gentoo developer but i also
11 >>>> work on an upstream project (eudev) that 14 distros use.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> some of the criticism given here are my concerns as well and i've
14 >>>> spoken with the various distros --- slack, parted magic, puppy.
15 >>>> they get what's going on and they still see eudev is the best way
16 >>>> forward for now. it may not be in the future, but neither will a
17 >>>> udev extracted from a compiled full systemd codebase.
18 >>>
19 >>> How many of those 14 distros have more than 14 users?
20 >>>
21 >>> Look, I get it, some people don't like systemd. That's fine.
22 >>> However, you have to realize at this point that a non-systemd
23 >>> configuration is anything but mainstream. There will always be a
24 >>> "poppyseed linux" whose purpose in life seems to be to preserve
25 >>> linux without sysfs or some other obscure practice. I just think
26 >>> that Gentoo should offer the choice to do those things, but have a
27 >>> more mainstream set of defaults.
28 >>
29 >> The new mainstream is docker. Docker recently switched to Alpine
30 >> Linux, which uses OpenRC+eudev:
31 >>
32 >> https://www.brianchristner.io/docker-is-moving-to-alpine-linux/
33 >>
34 >> That dwarfs whatever marketshare systemd has in the same way that
35 >> Android+iOS dwarfed whatever marketshare Windows has.
36 >>
37 >> If userbase is what matters to you, then OpenRC+eudev won. It is the
38 >> logical choice for those concerned about userbase because that is what
39 >> the Linux ecosystem will be using going forward.
40 >>
41 >> I do not think userbase should be the sole means by which we make
42 >> decisions, but those that think otherwise should now join the
43 >> eudev+OpenRC camp. It has the bigger userbase share going forward.
44 >>
45 >> To put it another way, the war is over. Welcome abroad. :)
46 >
47 > I don't know docker well enough, but an lxc container definitely doesn't
48 > use udev inside the container.
49
50 There really is no point to running udev inside the container, but if you do run udev in an Alpine Linux docker container, you get eudev.