From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:52:58
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:00:27 -0500
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/08/2016 10:09 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Anthony G. Basile
6 > <blueness@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> what does in-house tool mean? i'm a gentoo developer but i also
9 > >> work on an upstream project (eudev) that 14 distros use.
10 > >>
11 > >> some of the criticism given here are my concerns as well and i've
12 > >> spoken with the various distros --- slack, parted magic, puppy.
13 > >> they get what's going on and they still see eudev is the best way
14 > >> forward for now. it may not be in the future, but neither will a
15 > >> udev extracted from a compiled full systemd codebase.
16 > >
17 > > How many of those 14 distros have more than 14 users?
18 > >
19 > > Look, I get it, some people don't like systemd. That's fine.
20 > > However, you have to realize at this point that a non-systemd
21 > > configuration is anything but mainstream. There will always be a
22 > > "poppyseed linux" whose purpose in life seems to be to preserve
23 > > linux without sysfs or some other obscure practice. I just think
24 > > that Gentoo should offer the choice to do those things, but have a
25 > > more mainstream set of defaults.
26 >
27 > The new mainstream is docker. Docker recently switched to Alpine
28 > Linux, which uses OpenRC+eudev:
29 >
30 > https://www.brianchristner.io/docker-is-moving-to-alpine-linux/
31 >
32 > That dwarfs whatever marketshare systemd has in the same way that
33 > Android+iOS dwarfed whatever marketshare Windows has.
34 >
35 > If userbase is what matters to you, then OpenRC+eudev won. It is the
36 > logical choice for those concerned about userbase because that is what
37 > the Linux ecosystem will be using going forward.
38 >
39 > I do not think userbase should be the sole means by which we make
40 > decisions, but those that think otherwise should now join the
41 > eudev+OpenRC camp. It has the bigger userbase share going forward.
42 >
43 > To put it another way, the war is over. Welcome abroad. :)
44
45 I don't know docker well enough, but an lxc container definitely doesn't
46 use udev inside the container.