From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:20:38
1 For me, the big selling points of eselect-init are:
2
3 1. as release engineer, i can prepare images that use either systemd
4 or openrc (at present time these are the two supported options) and do
5 it reliably, programmatically.
6 2. as distro maintainer, i can roll out a migration path from openrc
7 to systemd (or vice versa). The properties of this migration path I am
8 looking for are reliability and "atomicity". Basically, once you move
9 logind/consolekit detection to runtime (and believe it or not, many
10 upstream just get it wrong), and have feature parity in the systemd
11 units available (wrt openrc initscripts), switching over is a matter
12 of 2 (soon 1) commands.
13
14 Both of them are quite important, because there are scenarios in where
15 systemd fits better than openrc, and scenarios in where openrc is a
16 better fit (older kernels, production system with custom init scripts
17 that are not worth the porting, etc).
18 Making the switch between openrc and systemd easy is a big win (for
19 both developers, distro maintainers, users) and makes Gentoo more
20 attractive, but this is another topic...
23 Fabio Erculiani