From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:26:54
1 El vie, 21-06-2013 a las 13:19 +0200, Fabio Erculiani escribió:
2 > For me, the big selling points of eselect-init are:
3 >
4 > 1. as release engineer, i can prepare images that use either systemd
5 > or openrc (at present time these are the two supported options) and do
6 > it reliably, programmatically.
7 > 2. as distro maintainer, i can roll out a migration path from openrc
8 > to systemd (or vice versa). The properties of this migration path I am
9 > looking for are reliability and "atomicity". Basically, once you move
10 > logind/consolekit detection to runtime (and believe it or not, many
11 > upstream just get it wrong), and have feature parity in the systemd
12 > units available (wrt openrc initscripts), switching over is a matter
13 > of 2 (soon 1) commands.
14 >
15 > Both of them are quite important, because there are scenarios in where
16 > systemd fits better than openrc, and scenarios in where openrc is a
17 > better fit (older kernels, production system with custom init scripts
18 > that are not worth the porting, etc).
19 > Making the switch between openrc and systemd easy is a big win (for
20 > both developers, distro maintainers, users) and makes Gentoo more
21 > attractive, but this is another topic...
24 Thanks for the explanation. But I think that, currently, the only
25 remaining "objection" is whether play with /sbin/init (that needs
26 sysvinit to be changed if I don't misremember) or with /sbin/einit.
27 Looks like mgorny has shown some problems on relying on "einit" instead
28 of plain "init" regarding to fallback :/