From: Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 06:22:37
1 On Thursday, 12 July 2018 07:21:20 CEST Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Richard Yao wrote:
3 > > This does not answer my question. Is it really a FHS violation? The
4 > > contents of /usr changes when doing updates using the system package
5 > > manager. When not doing updates, it really is readonly and the FHS
6 > > says that /usr is for readonly things. I do not see how it is
7 > > different from anything else in /usr.
8 >
9 > What about a system that is building binpkgs? Or an rsync mirror?
10
11 There are systems building software for other systems using $ROOT, too. They
12 need to download into distfiles and sometimes they build binpkgs, too.