From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:31:40
1 On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:57:28 -0400 Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | As a gnome-terminal user, I've never had problems with anything that
4 | tried to use advanced xterm crap... probably because no uses them. If
5 | you want X stuff, just use a real X application (like gvim...). I'm
6 | strictly opposed to crippling my terminal use in the most common cases
7 | (such a logging into a non-Gentoo system) for one or two legacy
8 | applications.
9
10 Ok, to put this into perspective: the next major release of vim will
11 almost certainly not work on anything that calls itself an xterm unless
12 it really is an xterm. You will likely encounter a hard locked terminal
13 that you can't unlock. The latest ncurses release will also break
14 various things (irssi comes to mind) on Gnome Terminal.
15
16 Crippling xterm is no longer considered a suitable workaround.
17
18 | In the era of massive sshing, we have to forget terminfo and new
19 | terminal types. We should understand xterm to mean a basic x terminal
20 | and not the application from X.org.
21
22 Uh, no, a basic x terminal would be TERM=vt100. If an application
23 claims TERM=xterm, it is expected to support full xterm capabilities.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm