From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:59:54
1 On Tue, 2005-23-08 at 21:27 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 8:52:13 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
3 > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
4 > | On 21/8/2005 23:05:05, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
5 > | > Now the proposal. This isn't something that can happen immediately,
6 > | > but it's something I'd like to see us working towards:
7 > | >
8 > | > [...]
9 > | >
10 > | > * De-cripple the standard xterm definition and remove restrictions
11 > | > from programs which can make full use of xterm's capabilities.
12 > |
13 > | This bit, obviously, has to wait until at least the more common
14 > | packages have been adjusted for their own TERM value. In the
15 > | interim, how about creating a 'xtermstd' entry with the de-crippled
16 > | definition, and altering the (presumably few) packages that supply
17 > | fully-compatible xterms to use that, with a view to changing them
18 > | back to 'xterm' later once the rest of the world is in line.
19 > |
20 > | I think it's also worth considering leaving the existing xterm entry
21 > | crippled, and just accept that abuse of it is too entrenched and
22 > | widespread to fix.
23 >
24 > Hrm, I'd really rather not do that, on the grounds that it's a nasty
25 > hack and that it encourages people to carry on abusing TERM. By leaving
26 > xterm crippled in the long term, we're in effect saying "it's ok to
27 > pretend to be an xterm", which it isn't.
28
29 I though about this thing last night, and frankly, I think its a lost
30 cause. I remember that during the Gnome 1.x era, gnome-terminal used to
31 set TERM=gnome (at least it did on Red Hat) and they had the proper
32 termcap/terminfo entries. But they ended up going back to TERM=xterm,
33 probably because it caused problems for their users, like login into
34 anything else and being reduced to the lowest possible common
35 denominator (like logging into a Solaris system and being reduced to
36 non-visual mode by vi). And by the way, Solaris 2.8 still does not know
37 about rxvt.
38
39 As a gnome-terminal user, I've never had problems with anything that
40 tried to use advanced xterm crap... probably because no uses them. If
41 you want X stuff, just use a real X application (like gvim...). I'm
42 strictly opposed to crippling my terminal use in the most common cases
43 (such a logging into a non-Gentoo system) for one or two legacy
44 applications.
45
46 In the era of massive sshing, we have to forget terminfo and new
47 terminal types. We should understand xterm to mean a basic x terminal
48 and not the application from X.org.
52 Olivier Crête
53 tester@g.o
54 Gentoo Developer