From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:30:12
1 On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 8:52:13 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
2 <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
3 | On 21/8/2005 23:05:05, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
4 | > Now the proposal. This isn't something that can happen immediately,
5 | > but it's something I'd like to see us working towards:
6 | >
7 | > [...]
8 | >
9 | > * De-cripple the standard xterm definition and remove restrictions
10 | > from programs which can make full use of xterm's capabilities.
11 |
12 | This bit, obviously, has to wait until at least the more common
13 | packages have been adjusted for their own TERM value. In the
14 | interim, how about creating a 'xtermstd' entry with the de-crippled
15 | definition, and altering the (presumably few) packages that supply
16 | fully-compatible xterms to use that, with a view to changing them
17 | back to 'xterm' later once the rest of the world is in line.
18 |
19 | I think it's also worth considering leaving the existing xterm entry
20 | crippled, and just accept that abuse of it is too entrenched and
21 | widespread to fix.
22
23 Hrm, I'd really rather not do that, on the grounds that it's a nasty
24 hack and that it encourages people to carry on abusing TERM. By leaving
25 xterm crippled in the long term, we're in effect saying "it's ok to
26 pretend to be an xterm", which it isn't.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm