From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 18:05:10
1 Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 > Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 2007-10-05 at 14:20 -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
4 >>> Jim Ramsay wrote:
5 >>>> 1) Create a single local USE flag (flashsupport or something)
6 >>>> that will just pull in this dependency.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> 2) Use the same set of USE flags as libflashsupport has, with any
9 >>>> of them adding libflashsupport to the dep list, since these are
10 >>>> all global flags and will most likely be enabled for both
11 >>>> netscape-flash and libflashsupport
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I'm personally thinking (1) is the better of the 2 options, but
14 >>>> I'd like to know if anyone has any other wondrous solutions to
15 >>>> this.
16 >>> Does/will anything else dep on flashsupport? If not, why not just
17 >>> add the USE flags to netscape-flash and install libflashsupport as
18 >>> part of the netscape-flash install instead of a separate package.
19 >> If its a separate package that will be updated separately, then it
20 >> doesn't make sense to put it in the separate package and I support
21 >> option 1. Otherwise, if they'll always be together, then just put it
22 >> in the same package.
23 >
24 > Yes, libflashsupport is distributed separately and is on a different
25 > release schedule than netscape-flash.
26 >
27 > I suppose I could also propose:
28 >
29 > 4) netscape-flash just RDEPENDS on libflashsupport all the time. It's
30 > certainly not a large library to be added on.
33 That is a terrible idea. Don't make it "depend" on something that it
34 clearly does *not* depend on. Flash works just fine without the optional
35 add-ons, and those are *definitely* optional. I've never needed
36 libflashsupport and would prefer not seeing useless cruft attached to a
37 perfectly working Flash installation.
38
39 If you're going to add it to USE, then make sure it's *not* on by
40 default, thanks.