From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:18:58
1 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-10-05 at 14:20 -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
3 > > Jim Ramsay wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > 1) Create a single local USE flag (flashsupport or something)
6 > > > that will just pull in this dependency.
7 > > >
8 > > > 2) Use the same set of USE flags as libflashsupport has, with any
9 > > > of them adding libflashsupport to the dep list, since these are
10 > > > all global flags and will most likely be enabled for both
11 > > > netscape-flash and libflashsupport
12 > > >
13 > > > I'm personally thinking (1) is the better of the 2 options, but
14 > > > I'd like to know if anyone has any other wondrous solutions to
15 > > > this.
16 > >
17 > > Does/will anything else dep on flashsupport? If not, why not just
18 > > add the USE flags to netscape-flash and install libflashsupport as
19 > > part of the netscape-flash install instead of a separate package.
20 >
21 > If its a separate package that will be updated separately, then it
22 > doesn't make sense to put it in the separate package and I support
23 > option 1. Otherwise, if they'll always be together, then just put it
24 > in the same package.
25
26 Yes, libflashsupport is distributed separately and is on a different
27 release schedule than netscape-flash.
28
29 I suppose I could also propose:
30
31 4) netscape-flash just RDEPENDS on libflashsupport all the time. It's
32 certainly not a large library to be added on.
35 Jim Ramsay
36 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)