From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] A new GLSA schema
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 00:03:31
1 > On 12 Nov 2022, at 00:01, Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >>>>> [2] https://oasis-open.github.io/csaf-documentation/
4 >
5 >> Oh I see, I'd missed the actual link to CSAF, sorry.
6 >
7 > My fault. I should not add xkcd links in future.
8
9 Nah, the xkcd is fine, I just missed the link to the actual standard. No worries.
12 >> I'll take a look. It's not clear to me yet if this is going to be a good
13 >> fit for distributions though, as we're not a normal "vendor".
14 >
15 > The major idea of CSAF is to use it optionally along with CPE, CVE, security.txt
16 > These are fully compatible and complete each other.
17 >
18 > We are a "vendor" in this scheme.
19 > You can find already CVEs assigned to the product with the CPE
20 > cpe:2.3:a:gentoo:
23 That's a bit different because that's when there's a vulnerability in e.g.
24 Portage, I think.
25
26 > So we are the vendor "gentoo".
27 > Perhaps gentoo_project would be more intuitive but currently it is "gentoo".
28 >
29 >> Are you aware of any other Linux distros using this?
30 >
31 > Langley Rock from Red Hat seems to be part of the editors team.
32 > So I guess Redhat/Centos are on the way.
33 >
34 > (see https://docs.oasis-open.org/csaf/csaf/v2.0/csaf-v2.0.html)
35 >
36 > Here are some presentations:
37 > https://oasis-open.github.io/csaf-documentation/videos.html
38 >
39 > CSAF is exactly what we want with GLSA.
40 > There are already many tools to parse and pretty print the CSAF documents.
41
42 Thanks, I'll look into it more. Can you offer to help implement it in Portage?