From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:21:42
1 On 04/09/2012 11:09 AM, Steven J Long wrote:
2 > One thing that has bothered me with the mooting of an initramfs as the new
3 > rescue system that rootfs has traditionally been, is at the we are told at
4 > the same time that the initramfs can be very minimal. If so, how does it
5 > provide the same capabilities as rootfs (for those of us who can localmount
6 > without udev-configured devices)?
7
8 We've had some discussion on this before [1], and I've suggested to copy
9 the content of livecd/usb recovery disk onto a spare partition so that
10 you can boot into that if necessary. The advantage of using this
11 approach is that it eliminates the burden of maintaining the "/ is a
12 self-contained boot disk that's independent of /usr" use case.
13
14 [1]
15 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ceb908069aafdfff50e7f2d0732bf209.xml
16 --